There are always words or cliche phrases that annoy us. As gamers, we know what pushes our buttons. To some it may be puns like that one. I'm really opening up a can of worms here. Some one's gonna have a bone to pick with me. O.K. I'll stop.
To any gamer I think one of the most annoying words to hear is delayed. Like if I were to say Modern Warfare 2 is delayed until February. I can only say that once per month or my xbox will catch on fire. Some poor reader may die of a heart attack tonight just because I typed that.
On a more personal note, I think one of the most enraging words used in gaming is pwned. Omfg, every time I see or hear this word I see nothing but red on my screen. I have to mutter through clenched teeth for teammates to get away from me so I don't pwn them. Damn, I said it again. It's a leetspeak slang version of the perfectly fine verb own, in this case meaning to destroy an opponent. Why can't gamers just use the term owned? Variations of the slang verb include powned, pwnage, pwn3d and pwnt. Jesus, I need to stop. This is killing me.
It also kind of annoys the hell out of me when people spell their names or gamertags with numbers or symbols as letters. I understand this is part of the whole leetspeak AscII art thing. To me it just means you can't think of a name without using some crazy numeral in the space of a letter in the original idea. The name Superman would have 20 morons spelling their bastardization anything like Sup3rman, 5up3rm4n or ${_}P3r/V\4(\).
So what annoys you in the gaming world? Here we can vent about it together. Good games till later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"Pushes our buttons" isn't a pun... unless I'm missing something.
ReplyDeleteThe leetspeak thing has pissed me off since its advent. Especially "H4x1ng" or any other variant of a word that simply means "to cheat." Like, seriously... "He's cheating!" would be good enough. Of course, I'm showing my age here... most of what I know about online gaming comes from the pre-steam days of Counterstrike (1.5 baby YEAH!) because I refused to pay for that game when Steam forced the user to do so. Haxing is an especially annoying accusation, though, because 99% of the time it's just some sad soul who can't deal with the fact that he's just not very good at the game.
Or that the person hasen't found a better hack for Counter Strike that can counter act said user's real or fake skill. As I understand it, many CS players are cheating to some degree at all times online. (Xbox Live can control this)
ReplyDeleteAlso a pun can be derived from the intentional misuse of metaphorical language, hence my meaning of pushing buttons and controllers. So, yes, you did miss something.